Ever since I've started working full time, I've been really terrible at cooking dinner. Poor Seth and Steve ask me almost every day "so...what are we having for dinner?" And my usual response is "Oh, uh, I haven't really thought about it. Whatever you feel like making yourself, I guess." How terrible is that! So, I'm going to try and get back on the horse and start making good dinners again. Primarily because if Seth was left to choose what he ate for dinner every night he would be living off of BBQ tuna fish sandwiches and refried macaroni and cheese. (I really don't know how he survived through his mission.) Another thing that has always thrown a wrench in my dinner plans is the fact that Seth HATES fruits and vegetables. ...I know, right? So, I used to pretend like he was 3 and hide the good stuff in whatever we were having for dinner. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. I'm going to have to start doing that again but I don't want to try too hard to make the veggies unrecognizable for Evie's sake. I want her to partially know that she is eating veggies and she likes them! I can just see us all sitting around the table in the not too distant future, me spooning some random veggie onto her plate, then seeing her look up with defiance and saying, "Why do I have to eat those? Daddy doesn't have to eat them, he says they are yucky!" That will be the day I will take Seth sweetly into the other room and sweetly punch him in the nose. It is my goal to make that day never happen. My plan of attack is as follows:
1. Buy healthier options, even if they are more expensive
2. Put more effort into finding delish recipes that have more fruits and veggies
3. Put on my big girl pants and actually cook dinner
4. Hide the good stuff when really needed
5. Convince Seth to put on his big boy pants and eat the good stuff in front of little eyes
What do you think? Am I being too harsh/unrealistic/gung-ho? Now, here is my little disclaimer. Know when I say I'm going to be cooking healthier foods, thats just what I mean, healthiER. I really don't think I'm capable of jumping into "health food" so when you see me talk about cooking sausage pasta, know it will have veggies in it which is a big step for this family.

2 comments:
I was a no veggies person too. Unfortunately that has made it hard on my girls to know what veggies they like. My tastes have changed as I have gotten older. I now eat squash while it is spaghetti squash it is squash. And discovered I don't like green beans unless they are the fancy cut and those I LOVE!!! go figure. Spinach is one that I never ever ate and now it is one of my favorites. But it is all in how you cook it. So try cooking the veggies a different way and see if the man of the house will try it. I'm behind you 100% because I can look back now and see the damage I did to my kids by not cooking veggies I didn't like when they were growing up. Come on Seth!!!
Thanks, Sid! Knowing that you and Seth shared this dislike gives me hope for the future! I am going to take your advice and try cooking things in new ways. I guess life is all about risk!
Post a Comment