Friday, February 24, 2012

Is Spring Here Yet?!

I'm getting really excited for spring to officially be here! Yeah, I know its still a little ways off but this warm winter has been teasing me (not to say I'm complaining). I've been planning our first garden and I cannot wait to get started! Yesterday I went to Lowes because my indoor plants somehow got aphids over the winter and I've been battling them with homemade remedies but nothing has worked really so I finally caved and went to buy something to get rid of the little buggers. While I was there, I also wanted to look into a small indoor green house or really just anything that will work to keep my seedlings warm in my intemperate house. I originally had this one in mind:
Garden Plus Metal GreenHouse
Its $40 and I had it in my cart until I went outside and happened to see that they had one of these on clearance:
Palram 1-3/4'L x 3-3/8'W x 1-3/8'H Greenhouse
There was only one left for $23 (originally $60). I was so stoked! I put the other greenhouse back and decided to get this cold frame. I'm going to have this set up in the sunniest place in the house right now (the office which is south-east facing and then when it gets a bit warmer stake it down outside to harden off my seedlings. I was so excited that I built it almost as soon as I got home. With Evie's helpful screw-stealing skills, we got it built in an hour or so.
IMAG0117.jpg

When Evie saw me taking pictures, she wanted me to take pictures of her as well.


Today we are going to plant all of our leafy plants (spinach, tomatoes, lettuce, cabbage, peas, onions). I'm excited to get started and I hope Evie is into getting her hands into the dirt as I am! She was a little weirded out when I was digging around our indoor potted plants with my fingers. She thought it was weird that I was putting her "coloring" (crayons) into the dirt. No, I was not actually putting crayons in my soil, but they were plant food sticks that did look like crayons, I'll give her that. After holding one she realized it wasn't a crayon but a "yucky" and let me do the rest. Lol! Speaking of which, I discovered that my Star of Jasmine soil has been growing mushrooms! What the heck?!

No comments: